Funding the Life and Work of St John’s

As a church we rely on the generosity of our members and friends to raise the necessary funds to run and maintain the church buildings and grounds, as well as providing the resources needed to serve all who reside in the parish of Windlesham. Members of the congregations contribute to the life and work of St John’s in many different ways, some with their talents, others by donating regularly, many do both. If you are interested to know more about our current annual costs please download our latest Stewardship Annual Review. If you would like to help us meet these costs, below are ways that you can make a donation, or give regularly to the life and work of St John’s.

Giving Regularly

Below you will find several ways in which you are able to contribute on a regular basis to the ongoing funding of St John’s Church. Regular funding enables us in our financial planning. It allows us to know what funds are coming in which helps enormously with maintaining our budgets and planning for the future.  If you are a UK taxpayer we invite you to read the Tax Efficient Giving section below.

Bank Standing Order

To give via your bank you can set up a standing order. Full details of how to do this can be found on our Regular Giving Form. Alternatively you can request a paper copy from the Parish Office.

Internet Banking

If you prefer to set up a standing order by internet banking please use your surname and initials as the reference. All our details can be found on our Regular Giving Form which we ask to be filled in and returned so we have an record of your donation.

Stewardship Envelope Scheme

You may wish to consider joining our Stewardship Envelope Scheme. The Scheme is a method whereby:

  • A donor brings their personalised donation to Church each week.
  • A set of numbered and dated envelopes is issued to each donor covering fifty-two Sundays.
  • Each donor decides the weekly amount they will give – a written commitment is not required.
  • If a week is missed you may make it up subsequently.
  • An envelope can represent an individual or a family.
  • Donations are confidential – only those who administer the Scheme know the amounts donated.
  • It is hoped that donors will review their giving on a regular basis.

A set of envelopes can be requested from the Parish Administrator.

Employer’s Payroll Giving Scheme

Give through your employer’s payroll giving scheme (this only applies if your employer runs such a scheme – your Human Resources department can provide details on this).

Charities Aid Foundation Donation Scheme

You can also set up a Charities Aid Foundation Donation Scheme. Visit their website for full details of how to do this.

Other Ways to Give

  • There is an opportunity to donate regularly at all our services. Please use the gift aid envelopes provided if you are a UK taxpayer.
  • If you would like to send the Church a cheque, please make it payable to Windlesham PCC and send it to the Treasurer c/o the Parish Office.
  • You may also like to consider leaving a donation to St John’s Church in your will. We welcomes legacies, however large or small. Talk to your solicitor when you make or change your will. For full details about how can go about this see the Church of England website Church Legacy or download the leaflet How to make a Lasting Gift to your Church.

Tax Efficient Giving

If you pay UK tax (Income or Capital Gains Tax) and would like us to be able to claim back the basic rate tax on all or any regular giving or one off donations to the Church, you will need to fill in, sign and return to us a Gift Aid declaration, (MS Word version)  if you have not done so already when filling in our Regular Giving Form.

The benefit to St John’s Church is that we can recover the basic rate of income tax, currently 25p for each £1 given. (If you pay higher rate tax, you may recover this through your own tax return.)

Please note it is your responsibility to notify us if you want to cancel this declaration, change your name or home address or if you no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.